Fireplace and Mantel FAQs
Fireplace and Mantel Information
- Articles and Decorating Ideas From MantelCraft
- Fireplace Mantel Return Depth Illustration - see below
- Mantel Ideas and Unique Installations
- Mantel Installation Instructions and Wood Mantel Sizing Guide
- Testimonials and Project Photos
- Fireplace Dimension and Sizing Worksheet
- Fireplace Mantel Color Literature | Catalog
- Warranties, Returns and Exchanges
- How to Order see below
- Shipping Lead Times see below
General Questions about Buying a New Fireplace Mantel
1. I want a new mantel but do not know how to measure, where should I begin?
A fireplace mantel surround is sized based on the fireplace opening. Measure how wide and how tall your fireplace opening is. If you want a wood mantel, make sure you are aware of the firebox manufacturer's code to combustibles and also the local fire-hazard building codes. Use our Easy as 1 2 3 measuring guide if you are in need of a custom mantel. If one of our two size stock sizes will work for you then it can normally be shipped in 10 business days (if not painted or stained.)
2. What do you mean by return depth?
The return depth is the distance or air space behind the mantel legs and the header. It is the allowance for the depth of your facing plus an inch or so of clearance. The scribe molding neatly hides any gap between the back of the mantel leg and your facing. See diagram:
click on diagram to enlarge
3. I am ready to install my mantel wood mantel surround, how should this be done?
Wood mantel surrounds come in a box in three pieces with three pieces of scribe molding to complete your installation. Installation instructions and hardware are in the box and you can view the installation instructions here. If you need assistance please do not hesitate to call customer service at 800 820 7177 Monday - Friday, 8am to 4:30pm central time.
4. I am ready to install my fireplace mantel shelf, how should this be done?
Your mantel shelf comes complete in a box with mounting hardware and installation instructions. You can view our Shelf Installation Instructions here, and if you need assistance please do not hesitate to call customer service at 800 820 7177 Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30PM Central Time.
5. Should I hire someone to install my fireplace mantel or is this something I can do?
Our wood fireplace mantel surrounds and fireplace mantel shelves are simple DIY projects; with basic knowledge of hand tools and a little elbow grease this should only take a few hours to complete. Our stone and marble mantels are normally installed by a team of two people with general carpentry skills and some experience working with marble and/or stone projects. As a general rule, you don't likely need to hire a mason to install our marble or stone mantels unless you are having extra stone work done, beyong the scope of the mantel itself. View several of our mantel installation guides.
6. What is the lead time for my wood mantel to ship?
Components for our standard sizes of our wood mantels (54 x 42 and 48 x 42) are normally in stock, allowing up to box and ship unfinished mantels within 7 business days. A custom-sized wood mantel built to exact specifications will normally ship within 7 business days if unfinished and within 12 business days if ordered with a professional factory performance finish. See below for lead times on other items.
7. How much assembly is required of wood mantels and shelves?
Our mantel shelves are assembled, but you'll need to attach a mounting strip to the wall. Most shelves with corbels are shipped unattached, so shelves may require some assembly, but minimal. Our wood mantel surrounds are shipped in 3 main pieces with 3 lengths of scribe molding. The legs attach to the header/shelf assembly with the use of cam locks (already installed in place) and the last step is to attach scribe molding to the inside of the mantel opening. View wood mantel instructions.
8. I just received the wood mantel and see that the mantel opening is about 1” wider and ½” taller that I ordered. Why?
The inside opening trim/finish molding, called scribe molding, is ½” thick and is used to finish the installation. Before this molding is nailed in place your opening width will be 1” larger than ordered and your opening height will be ½” taller than ordered. The dimensions of our mantels are 'finished dimensions' and include installed scribe molding. View wood mantel instructions.
9. I want to order new marble, granite or slate surround facing. Can it be cut to fit?
Cutting the marble, slate or granite stone facing kits to size can be done for a nominal charge. You can see the cuts that we offer and the price for various cuts on each stone facing product page.
10. Are your stone surrounds and stone/marble mantels non-combustible?
The natural stone surrounds are non-combustible. Cast stone mantel surrounds are made of a proprietary blends of crushed limestone, marble, gyspum, and other materials. A note of caution, if you are using a vent free firebox or a direct vent firebox that is a heater listed appliance, the you must use a 4” hood and a circulating fan to help prevent heat damage/discoloration to the stone mantel. For the Heritage Mantel line, we recommend you have a minimum of 4 to 6" clearance to the sides and 8 to 10" clearance above the fireplace opening and that they not be used with vent-free gas fireplaces.
- Select your mantel, wood species or stone colors, finishes, sizes, dimensions, and quantities desired.
- Add to cart and proceed through checkout.
- You will receive a confirmation of your order via email.
- NOTE: If ordering a custom sized item (i.e. fireplace mantel, shelf, or wood cornice, etc.) you will receive a dimensioned line drawing via email for your approval before production begins. Carefully check all dimensions of the line drawing to ensure that the item will fit correctly
4. You will receive a shipment notice email with carrier and tracking information on the day your order is shipped. See Shipping Lead Times and Shipping methods, immediately below:
Take advantage of Free Shipping to 99% of all residences in the 48 lower states when you purchase from Mantelcraft! During the fall and around holidays, our lead times might be extended by one or two days. We can also provide quotes for shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
- Wood mantels & Shelves: Standard Sizes, Unfinished: Ship within 7 Business Days
- Wood mantels & shelves: standard sizes, Factory Finished: ship within 12 Business Days
- Wood mantels & shelves: Custom sizes, Unfinished: ship within 7 Business Days
- Wood mantels & shelves: Custom sizes, Factory Finished: ship within 12 Business Days
- New England Classic wainscoting, Factory Finished: ships within 20 Business Days
- Cornices/Wainscoting/Planking: Unfinished: ship within 10 Business Days
- Cornices/Wainscoting/Planking: Finished: ship within 15 Business Days
- Heritage Collection Marble Mantels: ship within 3 1/2 to 4 Weeks
- Classic Stone Mantel Collection: normally ship within 10 Business Days
- Designer Stone Mantel Collection: ship within 3 1/2 to 4 Weeks
- Marble, Granite, Slate Facing, Standard Kits: ship within 5 Business Days
- Marble, Granite, Slate Facing, Oversized: ship within 4 to 5 weeks
Shipping Methods and Receiving your Order
- Items shipped via UPS Ground are normally be delivered in 2 to 4 days without a signature, based on the driver’s judgment as the security of the package. The driver may leave a note requesting a signature, at his/her discretion.
- Larger items will be shipped via an LTL (Less than Truck Load) carrier and shipments to residential addresses will require an appointment for delivery. The LTL carrier will contact you to set an appointment for the curbside, at the street delivery, which will normally arrive about three to four days after shipment leaves our factory. LTL shipments require a thorough damage inspection at the time of delivery, a signature and/or damage notation (in the unlikely event there is some shipping damage), and will require someone to help carry the package from curb/street to the desired location.
- Cast stone mantels are shipped via an LTL (Less than Truck Load) carrier and shipments to residential addresses will require an appointment for delivery. The LTL carrier will contact you to set an appointment. Lift gates are utilized to unload the skidded mantel off of the truck. A damage inspection and signature are required at the delivery. Usually, it's best to remove the packaging (for the inspection, and then you'll be able to carry individual components from the street up to your home.
Your total satisfaction is our goal!
Thorough inspections of your order are made during packaging and shipping to ensure your items are in perfect condition when leaving our facilities. However, during shipment, damages may rarely occur. In the instance the outside of your package appears to be damaged when you receive it you should:
- Open the package and inspect for obvious damage to the product with carrier present. If any is found please Refuse Receipt of Shipment Due to Damage noting this on the Bill of Lading. Contact us immediately and we will replace the product ASAP!
- If you are not present when the product is delivered, please notify us immediately at (800) 820-7177 and we will notify the carrier, begin the damage claim, and replace the product ASAP. (Please note we must notify the carrier within 24 hours of any products that have been delivered with damage).
Warranties, Returns and Exchanges
MantelCraft will refund 100% of your purchase amount should you be dissatisfied with any standard mantel or shelf. Simply call MantelCraft at 800 820 7177 for a return authorization and return the item in sellable condition in the original packaging, freight prepaid by you, within 30 days of original delivery to MantelCraft, 4145 Parkway Drive, Florence AL 35630